- Two major recycling schemes are applicable to users of the University. Users of University non-residential buildings have a recycling scheme run by Facilities Management. This scheme covers a wide variety of materials. More specific guidance is available in the publication on this scheme.
- Users of Residential accommodation, both Halls and private rented have a similar scheme. These schemes covers paper, cardboard, plastics, cans, glass and textiles.
- For more information on what to do with your waste see waste management.
Over 60 per cent of our rubbish could be recycled. Just 5 materials make up the bulk of an average waste load: glass, cans, plastic bottles, textiles and paper. All of these are reyclable. Another 20 per cent is organic material and could be easily composted.
- On average paper and cardboard make up around a fifth of all residential waste.
- For every tonne of glass recycled, 1.2 tonnes of raw materials are preserved. Its important to recycle glass.
- In the UK over 360 million plastic bottles are recycled. Many more could be!