- Two major recycling schemes are applicable to users of the University. Users of University non-residential buildings have a recycling scheme run by Facilities Management. This scheme covers a wide variety of materials. More specific guidance is available in the publication on this scheme.
- Users of Residential accommodation, both Halls and private rented have a similar scheme. These schemes covers paper, cardboard, plastics, cans, glass and textiles.
- For more information on what to do with your waste see waste management.
Over 60 per cent of our rubbish could be recycled. Just 5 materials make up the bulk of an average waste load: glass, cans, plastic bottles, textiles and paper. All of these are reyclable. Another 20 per cent is organic material and could be easily composted.
- On average paper and cardboard make up around a fifth of all residential waste.
- For every tonne of glass recycled, 1.2 tonnes of raw materials are preserved. Its important to recycle glass.
- In the UK over 360 million plastic bottles are recycled. Many more could be!
TerraCycling....Saving the planet and fighting global poverty, one pen at a time
We're trialling an exciting new recycling scheme! We've just signed up for a pen recycling scheme with TerraCycle. TerraCycle are a global company who aim to 'eliminate the idea of waste' by providing opportunities to recycle, or 'upcycle', items which would usually end up in landfill because they're tricky to recycle conventionally. One of their schemes involves collecting old pens which are then turned into watering cans, plant pots and more.
Not only will this new scheme allow us to recycle a product which otherwise would have gone in the bin, there is an added bonus! For every article we collect, the company will donate 2p to a charity of our choice. Our Environmental Assistant, Amy, is currently fundraising for a sponsored climb of Kilimanjaro in aid of world poverty charity, Practical Action. Until the end of summer, we'll be donating any proceeds from the scheme towards her total for Practical Action.
So, we'd like to encourage you all to set up collection boxes in your buildings and departments! In August, there will be a bottle of wine on offer for the collector who sends in the most used items! Boxes can contain used pens (ballpoints, markers, felt tips etc), plastic 'reloading' pencils, highlighters and correction fluid bottles. Once full, just contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a pick up and we'll get them sent freepost to TerraCycle!